So excited to be posting my first recipe that I’ve come up with myself!
I was in the mood for stuffed peppers last night, but couldn’t find a recipe that was precisely what I thought I wanted. So, I came up with my own – Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers!
First, you brown 1/2 pound of ground beef and 1/2 pound of ground turkey.
When it’s nearly browned, add chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery (I use the pre-made seasoning mix because I don’t want to spend my life chopping the Holy Trinity of veg to go in almost every dish I make, but if you’re chopping fresh veg, I’d estimate about 1/2 large onion, 1 good-sized bell pepper, and a couple of ribs of celery). Continue cooking until the meat is browned and the vegetables are soft.
Add one packet of taco seasoning and a 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes.
Add one can corn and one can black beans; mix until thoroughly combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. I also added some Slap Ya Mama to kick it up a bit – we like things well seasoned around here. Let it simmer about 10-15 minutes.
While the meat mixture is simmering, wash your bell peppers and slice in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and clean out the inside of the peppers well. Place your peppers in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish and add about 3/4 cup of water to the bottom of the pan. I find this helps keep the peppers from sticking.
After the meat mixture has simmered, add three cups cooked rice and combine.
Stuff the pepper halves generously.
Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
Remove foil from pan, top with shredded cheese, and put back in the oven long enough to get the cheese bubbly.
Brian and I loved it. Thing One and Thing Two tried it and declared it not their favorite. My kids are weird. If yours are normal, they may love it.
Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1/2 pound ground beef (I used 85/15)
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cajun seasoning of your choice (optional)
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 large bell peppers (I used green, but any color will do)
- Shredded cheese to taste (I used queso Chihuahua and Colby Jack, you pick your favorite)
- Brown ground beef and ground turkey in a large skillet.
- When meat is almost browned, add chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery. Cook until meat is browned and vegetables are soft.
- Add taco seasoning and crushed tomatoes.
- Add corn and black beans. Mix until well combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and Cajun seasoning of your choice if you want to amp up the spice a little (I recommend Slap Ya Mama or Tony Chachere’s). Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- While meat mixture simmers, wash bell peppers. Cut in half lengthwise and clean out seeds. Place into a 13×9 inch pan with about 3/4 cup of water in the bottom of the pan.
- Add cooked rice to meat mixture and combine.
- Stuff peppers (and stuff the heck out of them – this makes a lot of filling!).
- Cover pan with foil and bake for about 45 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven, top peppers with cheese, and return to oven long enough for cheese to get bubbly.